A family safety plan is very useful in case of an emergency. Take a few moments to prepare your own plan. It’s easy!
- Always have an emergency kit in your home. Your kit should contain enough material, food and water to provide for your family’s basic needs during the first 3 days of an emergency situation.
- List the contact information of the persons you’ll need to get in touch with in case of an emergency – family members, daycare, school, municipality, etc.
- Prepare a home evacuation plan.
- Make sure you know how to shut off water, electricity and gas in your home, should the need arise.
- In the event of an emergency, avoid using the elevator.
- Plan an emergency route if you have to evacuate your neighbourhood. Plan an alternate route in case some roads are closed. For your safety, remember to notify the authorities responsible for the emergency measures in your municipality that you have evacuated your home, and of the location where you are staying.
- Take an inventory of all your belongings, as well as proofs of purchase, photographs or videos. Keep these documents and a copy of your home and automobile insurance policies outside of your home in a secure location, at the office for example.
Incidentally, Are You Insured?
Most home insurance policies cover damage caused by natural disasters such as hail, lightning, windstorms, or tornadoes. You can even get earthquake insurance!