logo Québec

Ministère de la Sécurité publique

Financial Assistance to Citizens as Disaster Victims

As a tenant or owner of a principal residence, you could receive financial assistance to guard against a danger or repair damage caused to your belongings during a disaster.

The “principal residence” is the place where you perform all of your everyday activities on an annual basis, such as a dwelling, a single-family home, a row house or a condominium.

Damage to a chalet or any building used for recreational purposes is not eligible.

What should you do when disaster strikes?

Act immediately—protect your property!

Take preventive measures based on the situation at hand: pump water, place sandbags, protect your doors and windows, etc. You are eligible to be reimbursed up to $3,000 to cover material and labor costs associated with any such temporary or emergency measures.

Contact your insurer

Call your insurer right away to inform them of your situation and to know what you can expect in terms of compensation. The General Financial Assistance Program for Actual or Imminent Disasters does not cover property damage caused by disasters for which insurance coverage is available in Québec.

Inform your municipality

Immediately inform municipal authorities of any damage and report any situation requiring an evacuation or municipal intervention.

Obey the evacuation order

Municipal authorities will ask you to evacuate your principal residence (dwelling, single-family home, duplex, semi-detached house, townhouse or condo where you perform your daily activities) if they consider it necessary for your safety.
If you find yourself in this situation, you will be eligible for financial assistance as of the fourth day of evacuation.

Dernière mise à jour : 24 juillet 2015