Financial Assistance to Disaster Victims
In the event of an actual or imminent disaster that risks compromising human safety or causing property damage, you can obtain financial assistance. Individuals, businesses and communities may be eligible.
Only belongings considered to be essential are eligible for financial assistance for property damage. However, you are responsible for insuring your belongings when it is possible to do so. In other words, the government programs do not replace the coverage offered by the insurers.
Finally, financial assistance is also provided for other purposes. For example, a claim can be made for temporary shelter and deployment of emergency response measures.
Are you Eligible?
To find out whether you are eligible, consult the list of disasters eligible for financial assistance to disaster victims (see French version).
What Assistance do you Have the Right to Obtain?
To find out the financial assistance you could obtain, select your profile:
- You are a tenant or owner of a principal residence;
- You are an owner or representative of a business or an agricultural enterprise (see French version);
- You represent an organization which has provided help and assistance to disaster victims (see French version);
- You represent a municipality (see French version).
To Find out More
- See the financial assistance programs for disaster victims (in French).
- See Sections 100 to 122 of the Civil Protection Act concerning financial assistance to disaster victims.