In the event of an actual or imminent disaster that risks compromising human safety or causing property damage, you can obtain financial assistance. Individuals, businesses and communities may be eligible.
Only belongings considered to be essential are eligible for financial assistance for property damage. However, you are responsible for insuring your belongings when it is possible to do so. In other words, the government programs do not replace the coverage offered by the insurers.
Finally, financial assistance is also provided for other purposes. For example, a claim can be made for temporary shelter and deployment of emergency response measures.
Contact your insurer first and request a formal response regarding the insurability of your claim. Then ask your municipality whether a public information session (in French) on the financial assistance program under the ministère de la Sécurité publique is scheduled for your area in order to obtain information.
To submit a claim for financial assistance:
- Schedule a meeting with an analyst of the ministère de la Sécurité publique at the public information session (in French).
- Complete the form (90 Ko), attach the necessary documents as specified in the claim Guide (66 Ko) and return the duly completed form and documents to the following address:
455, rue du Marais, bureau 100
To find out whether you are eligible to financial assistance, consult our database (in French).
To find out the financial assistance you could obtain, select your profile:
- You are a tenant or owner of a principal residence;
- You are an owner or representative of a business (in French);
- You represent an organization which has provided help and assistance to disaster victims (in French);
- You represent a municipality (in French).